Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Just a Regular White Girl

That's what I've been dubbed by the people I work with. Yes, I know, I live in Miami, where most of the population seems to be Hispanic. But why do I just have to be a "Regular White Girl" (RWG, from this point forward).

A lot of people come into work who only speak Spanish. I understand that living here, knowing Spanish would make my life easier. Wait, no it wouldn't. It would make other people's lives easier. Sigh. We're in America- we speak English. I have WAY less of a problem with customers who don't speak Spanish (let's face it- we've all been to other countries and didn't speak the language) than I do with store employees who don't speak English. (recall my Target story?)

Anyway, climbing off my soapbox.... I was in the breakroom the other day, and one of my co-workers was talking to another coworker about how when he first met her, he thought she was "just a RWG" then he shortly found out she was Hispanic, which made her cooler, apparently. So I asked- "What exactly is a RWG?" To which he seemed to have no answer. I suppose I'm being descriminated against because I have no blatently obvious heritage... as my mom always says, I'm European American. That always gets questioning looks.

Regarding the Hispanic culture in Miami, I've now been here for three months and I have a few observations.
  1. Their coffee is tasty. And strong. And cheap. Forget Starbucks, I hit up the coffee places around me and can get amazing coffee for $1. Put it this way- if it's more than $1.50, you're getting taken advantage of.
  2. They like to kiss you. Weird. I have personal space issues, so when I first meet people, I extend my hand for a nice handshake. Nope- that doesn't work here. People love hugging and doing the two cheek kiss. Took a while for me to not be totally heebed out by it. It's beginning to grow on me... but I'm still not 100%
  3. They call women "mama." It's not just the dudes that do it either- it's girls too. I have NEVER been called mama in my ENTIRE life, and suddenly, it's like my new name.
  4. Back to the coffee... a lot of times, when you buy a Cuban coffee (just espresso and loads of sugar) they give you these little plastic "shot glasses" to share it with your friends. How fun. I suppose they think that you would have to be nuts to finish the whole thing yourself... I've done it. Many times.
Alas... I've had enough of my Miami observations... I'm sitting in the Fort Lauderdale airport (thanks, free WiFi!!!) waiting for my flight to NYC... I'll be there soon! Stay tuned for a trip recap and pictures.

3 comments:

Lauren said...

Well, you are Jewish now so you have that going for you besides just being a RWG.

I would punch someone in the face if they were a stranger and tried to hug me. I have SERIOUS personal space issues.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!!

CP said...

I use the word 'mama'... but in spanish or to friends who speak spanish... when I use it in english (and I'm not drunk), Tracy rolls her eyes at me.

and yes, Miami people give hello kisses. I think it's more than a Hispanic thing, because in my high school, which was a pretty good blend of everyone, you gave hello kisses on the cheek. But only one cheek. No more. I adjusted to not giving hello kisses when I moved to Gainesville... I'd only do it with Miami people. :)

-Christy

CP said...

... and you're definitely supposed to share the coffee. I'd be way too wired if I drank the whole thing! lol.