Friday, September 5, 2008

Sounds of South Florida

So... South Florida is nothing like Tallahassee. I've been here a little over a week, and I've seen and heard a few things that I doubt I ever would have back in Tallahassee.

1- I went to Target last week. I couldn't find what I was looking for, so I asked the women in the red shirt with a Target name tag where I could find it. She turns to me with a really confused look on her face, shrugs, points to her tag and said "Spanish?" Now, I applaud Target for hiring Spanish speakers to accommodate the large Spanish speaking community here, but really- you couldn't find someone bilingual?

2- Boob jobs being advertised on the radio... the country station that I was listening to this morning at 9 AM. There was this guy, doing the "Used Car Salesman" shout, selling breast augmentation surgeries with the same gusto that people sell Mazda's that get good gas mileage. "Only $3499!" But wait.... if you want smart lipo, you can add that and get the whole package for "ONLY $5000!" They go on to detail financing options, various interest rates... and the kicker- my favorite part. "Get your breast augmentation surgery here. It's so cheap, you don't even have to go to South America!" Seriously? That would never fly in Tallahassee.

3- I was behind a guy in the line at my neighborhood Publix who bought a $250 bottle of champagne. The cashier asked if he had a hot date, to which his response was... "Not yet. I figure if I have this in my apartment, something good will come." Sigh. It's kind of funny that there are people out there that think the very presence of a $250 bottle of bubbly will cause the ladies to come flocking to your front door.

It cracks me up to hear things like this... I'm sure there will be more!

2 comments:

Jonathan said...

Crap ! I guess I'll return the bottle that's next to the microwave :(

CP said...

LOL.
This is hilarious.
I've heard that radio spot before and I guess I didn't realize how ridiculous it is. (But I love KISS Country anyway).

Just wait until you hear the gross ad for vaginal reconstructive surgery. No joke. hahaha.

-Christy